- 16 miles of river
- Class III – IV whitewater rapids
- Lunch on the river included
- 45 minutes from Yosemite Valley
- Fun professional river guide
10:00 am: Meet, greet, and sign in with your head guide.
11:00-11:30 am: Launch your boats and begin river trip.
12:00-12:30 pm: Picnic lunch on banks of the river.
1:00 pm: Continue down river, enter a narrow canyon with more Class II rapids.
4:00 pm: We arrive at our take-out, board our river vehicles, and drive you back to where your cars are, about a 30-minute drive.
The day begins at 10 A.M. (meet at Indian Flat Campground) when you meet your river guides. We gather for the Trip Orientation, a thorough, 30-minute presentation given by your Head Guide. He/she will go over the safety features of the trip, and demonstrate paddle techniques. You will be introduced to your guides, launch your boats and begin rafting. The entire morning until lunch, we have the opportunity to raft through lots of rapids. The Merced is intense and challenging from the start, with many Class III and IV rapids in the first nine miles. At mile seven we reach Ned’s Gulch, a pure-fun Class IV rapid which begins with a series of standing waves, each coming toward you at an angle and building in size, and culminating in one big wave and a deep drop.
About noon we stop for a hearty and nutritious picnic lunch. Lunch includes a variety of deli meats, cheeses, breads, condiments, vegetables, fruit, chips, cookies, lemonade, ice tea, and water. The next nine miles offer enjoyable Class II-III rapids until we reach Split Rock and Corner Pocket, both exciting solid Class IV rapids.
About 4:00PM we reach our take-out at Railroad Flat, take the boats out of the water, board our river shuttle vehicles, and head back to your cars. A river photographer has spent the day on the river taking photos of the rafters, and you may have the opportunity to purchase a photograph. Or, once you are home you can log in to “Picture This Photography” http://www.picturethisimaginethat.biz, and hopefully you can see, and order online, some photos of you rafting.
View River Rapids Map
- Choose Your Trip
- American River Rafting
- South Fork American River
- Half Day South Fork Trip-Chili Bar
- Half Day South Fork Trip-Gorge
- Full Day Entire South Fork Trip
- Full Day South Fork Trip-Lower Gorge
- Full Day South Fork Trip-Chili Bar Run
- Two Day South Fork Trip – Gorge & Chili Bar
- Two Day South and Middle Fork Trip
- Two Day South and North Fork Trip
- Two Day Wine and South Fork Trip
- Middle Fork American River
- North Fork American River
- Merced River Rafting
- Kings River Rafting
- Tuolumne River Rafting
- Directions and Packing Lists
- Rafting in Northern California
- River Flows
- Rafting Rates and Dates
- Rafting Special Prices, Deals, and Discounts
- Mariah Camp – Tent Cabins and Rentals
- Area Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guest Reviews and Testimonials
- Rafting Reservations
- Mariah Guides and Staff
- South Fork Photo Gallery
- Middle Fork Gallery
- Sitemap – Mariah Wilderness Expeditions
- Contact Us